Subject: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 22:48:28 +0100

> Axel
> Twenty years is a hell of a long time. Will I be using the same camera in
> twenty years as I am now? I don't think so.

Well, you ain't the typical Leica photographer, then....My M4 is 31, my M4P
is 18 or so, and I'm 43....when I sold my M2s after 18 years in my hands,
one of them was nearly 40....and they're still (hopefully) in daily use.

Walt
<<<<<<

Walt, I'm probably not the typical Leica photographer, whatever that may
be! I do take pictures, not as many I'd like or should. And for me, the
important thing is that the camera perform on the day or during the period
I need it for, not in some distant future. I had the R6's break down on me
when electronic cameras managed OK. So far the M6's are working fine. But
they haven't had such hard use yet. It just makes sense to me that
electronics are more reliable. Of course, everything has a limited lifespan.
As for 20 years in the future, I don't think anyone can say now what's
going to be around then. Things are changing pretty fast. It would be nice
to think that there'll be something like an M6 then, but I wouldn't put my
money on it.
Rob.