Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Post
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:32:38 +0100

Michael,

I did vote despite the considerable hassle involved when you live overseas
like I do. But can you tell me what is so unique about the U.S. as regards
elections? Lots of other countries have democratic elections; where I live now
(Switzerland) it is arguably much more democratic, since all decisions of any
importance are made by referendum. Where I grew up (Denmark) elections are
much more fun since there is a much wider variety of parties and positions to
choose from than in our silly winner-take-all, two-party system (which by the
way is not unique either, since the British have something similar). So what's
unique about the U.S. elections? Just about the only thing I can think of is
the pathetic turnout.

Nathan

"M.E.Berube" wrote:

> If you are a United States Citizen, I would like to take this opportunity
> to urge you all to VOTE today.
>
> No, I will not be so crass as to use this forum to suggest WHOM you should
> vote for, but will take the initiative to ask that regardless of your
> position on any of the issues, that you do exercise your right and take an
> active part in the unique experiment that is our Democratic Constitutional
> Republic.
>
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of Bicycles,
> Whiskey, and Underwear.
>
> Carpe Luminem,
> Michael E. Berube

- --