Subject: [Leica] R8 reliability survey
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:03:17 -0500

Just a reminder: I'm still collecting data on the reliability of the R8
camera.  I've received a number of replies, but would like to urge those of
you with R8 camera, who haven't sent me anything yet, to please do so.  The
more answers I get, the greater the likelyhood of being able to draw
accurate conclusions.  My original messages appears below.

I would like to try to get some kind of grip on R8 problems, in a more
systematic way than just the odd sporadic outburst on the LUG.  At the
moment, there are many opinions, but little data (or so I feel).

Consequently, I would like to call for those of you who own one or more R8s
to email me (privately: howard.390@osu.edu) the following information:

  1)  Serial number.  This will be used to see if it is possible to
      determine problematic serial no. ranges.  You may leave off the
      last three numbers at your discretion (e.g., 2,847,xxx).

  2)  Where the camera was purchased (from which country).

  3)  Whether you have had any problems or not.  It is important that
      those who have *not* had any problems also email me and state
      this.  Otherwise, the results will be unfavorably biased towards
      unreliability.

  4)  A brief description of what the problems were (e.g., failing
      lightmeter, inoperable winder, unreliable DOF preview, etc.).
      Include problems related to camera accessories (such as winders
      and motors), but not lenses, unless the latter is the result of
      camera body problems.  For example, a loose focussing ring on a
      lens would not be included, but if the camera failed to activate
      the automatic diaphram step-down upon exposure, it should.

Please use the subject heading 'R8 reliability survey' in your message,
which will allow me to automatically sort all these messages into a separate
mailbox.  And please, send the messages to *me privately*, NOT to the LUG.

I will collect information until December 1st, at which point I'll then
summarize the data and report back to the LUG what I find.

Two additional points:

  * All summaries, conclusions, etc., posted to the LUG as a result of this
    survey will ONLY make use of anonymous data: it will NOT be possible to
    trace who said what.

  * Once the survey has concluded and the analysis has been done, the
    emails containing the answers sent to me will be DELETED from my
    computer.  They will not be stored anywhere, only the analysis
    results will be kept.

If you have any questions, you are of course welcome to email me.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | "And many photographers will also appreciate
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | the separate control rings for focus and
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | aperture."    -- Leica lens ad copy.

Replies: Reply from Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (Re: [Leica] R8 reliability survey)
Reply from "SML" <inyoung@jps.net> ([Leica] FS: Series VI UVa)