Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:37:40 -0500

Hi Horst
I think even the best small value caps
can eventually die out. Most I believe are
epoxy encapsulated and epoxy though
very good for this app is not compleatly
inpermeable indefinitely. I think only glass
could do that. I'm talking  in terms of serveral
centuries. A metal blade FP mechanical shutter
like that used on the R6 or S2 could easily last that long
in normal use so long as the materials don't fatigue.
I guess it's a contest between the chemical deterioration of electronic components
and the fatigueing of mechanical components. The electronic
shutter has both components but is very simple mechanically while the
mechanical shutter is very complicated by comparison. I think the
Industrial engineers invented the MTBF concept just for this sort of thing.
I guess they would award the higher value to the electronic shutter and
to the camera with a compleatly solid state metering system.

See Ya
Javier

PS: It just ocurred to me. We still don't know the failure rate of silicon
or MOS based devices past the first 50 years or so.
So all our ideas on electronic reliability could be out the window.