Subject: [Leica] Re: Complement F5 with a M6/M3
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 05:10:23 -0800 (PST)

"Ravinder Walia" <ravinder_walia@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years, I have noticed that my photographic interest mainly
> lie in the area of event photography for which my Nikon system with
> it's excellent flash capabilities is great. However (here it comes),
> have noticed that there are times where I would like to take pictures
> unnoticed and this is not possible with an F5 35-70/2.8 SB28 and
> associated paraphernalia.  Also I would like to be able to have a
> light camera that I would be able to travel with. Also something that
> would be pretty much back to basics. As opposed to the wonderfully
> gizmoed F5.

That's why I started down the Leica path.  First, I got a high end
point & shoot with some manual control (Nikon 35Ti).  I wanted a small
camera with a good lens that I could control so that I could take
pictures on my honeymoon without turning it into a photographic
event.  I didn't want the divorce proceedings to start before we got
the bills from our wedding!  :)

Then, I realized that just wasn't enough control.  I couldn't focus it
exactly where I wanted all the time.  I wanted something more manual.
But smaller than my auto-everything SLR.

Based on paper specs, I decided I could get a Contax G1 or G2 and an
assortment of lenses...all for less than one M6 body and one lens.  I
figured that was the route for me.  A rangefinder is a rangefinder,
after all.

Then, I made the fateful mistake of going to my local dealer and
playing with an M6.  All of a sudden, everything else felt like a toy.
I lusted after a Leica.  My wife told me to go for it, and I didn't
need any other encouragement.

I use both my Leica and my N**** SLR.  Each has its strengths
and weaknesses.  They complement each other.