Subject: Re: [Leica] Film and developing questions:
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:02:33 -0500

on 9/11/00 11:03 pm, William Gower at wgower@eco-tec.com wrote:

> Q1: Has anyone done APX400 in D-76 1:1 ? Could you compare the results to
> the various dilutions of XTOL ?

I seem to remember doing this and I got substantially more grain. APX 400 is
a nice old fashioned film with nice old fashioned grain which Xtol does a
lot to tighten up. It definitely has a different grain structure to Tri-X,
which looks good in D76 1:1. APX400's grain is *much* sharper and more
defined in my experience, and personally I wouldn't use D76 unless I wanted
the grain emphasised. But I think you'll like the film... I switched from
Tri-X because I felt the tonality (sorry, Erwin) was better.

> (When I get home in a few weeks, I'm going to be confronted with processing
> 24 or more rolls of B+W with a 2 roll S.S tank. I'm thinking a 4 roll tank
> would be a better bet and a good investment anyway, as I plan on getting a
> MF camera next year.)

In that case get an 8-roll tank! I have 2, 4 and 8 roll tanks and I almost
only every use the 8-roll, with the 4 or the 2 sometimes for overspill. Also
MF reels take up a LOT of space... you can only get 2 in a 4-reeler but 5 in
an 8-reeler... saves a lot of time.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com