Subject: RE: [Leica] another use for black tape - Snapshot Skopar
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:47:53 -0600

Paul

>>I've used one of those when I shot slides that were intended for use in TV
commercials.  It helps make sure you compose them correctly, and don't end
up cropping important details when the slide is broadcast.<<

As I said to John Collier, that's an important use, which I hadn't
considered. I thought about it from the perspective of shooting a screen. I
have a number of screen shots of the www that I took about 5-years ago. Not
screen captures, but actual screen shots. I set my camera up in front of a
monitor and spend two days photographing various web sites. I did it for a
presentation. It was much easier to do a slide show than a video
presentation then. Had I tried to do a live demo -- as a couple of other
guys did -- I'd have lost the audience. Jumping from screen to screen with a
14.4 Modem took too long. Plus those who demoed live faced many technical
difficulties.

The slide show, OTOH, was snappy, fault free, and  a great success. It was
definately the way to go in '95. Web speed and access is much better today
as we all know; thanks to a guy named Al Gore, who invented the Internet,
and is totally responsible for making it what it is. He seems to make lots
of headlines, even today.

BTW, those old slides are very interesting. A search on Yahoo would give a
dozen hits where today you'd get a million. I've nearly tossed those slides
on several occasions. But each time I look at them they look more ancient.
Maybe they'll be useful someday. They definately have the flavor of the
early days of the web.

Dave