Subject: [Leica] Richard Comen
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:17:32 -0600

> I guess I am one of those
> hopeless dweebs.

Richard,
Well, as Bob Figlio pointed out, my words are too strong.

> If you are flexible enough to see more examples of your hated Tech Pan go to:
>

> http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293382025

Very nice. You're definitely one of those exceptions I was talking about (I
mean, assuming it's possible to "see" your pictures with the fabled Tech Pan
resolution knocked down to average by screen res <s>). I liked #5, "Artist,
Left Bank" especially. And "Lilly" is that rare thing, a distinctive cat
picture! (Don't get me going on cat pictures <g>.)

Actually, cat pictures and sunsets and so forth are a good parallel for what
I was saying about Tech Pan. It may be that _most_ sunset pictures are
uncreative and clichéd and so forth, but that doesn't mean they _all_ are or
that any particular sunset picture has to be.

An idea I had for a portfolio many years ago was to take a list of the worst
photographic clichés and try to make pictures of each subject that was
distinctive and freshly seen. (Actually, that would make a great project for
a group of photographers.) I still think that would be fun, both coming up
with the list of clichés and also trying to escape the conventions of each
cliché most creatively.

Thanks for sharing your URL--good URLs are one of the main reasons I like
the LUG. I'd like to see more exceptions like yours.

Best,

- --Mike