Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 system to enhance an M system
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:32:43 -0800

Steve Beyer wrote:

>     In addition to the 100 macro what lenses do you have and what lenses
> would you recommend as a start for a Leica R8 system.  I remember you
> recommend a different screen than the standard..... But I don't remember
> which one.<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,

The screen is the full ground glass. There are two types, one with grid
markings as composition aids and the other,  plain ground glass and the circle
indicating the meter reading. Both are far better than the standard screen
supplied with the R8 which is an abomination of distraction.

The lens choice for a starter depends on what kind of photography you'll be
using the lens for. Such as the 15 mm maybe first choice because you intend on
using it for interiors and super wide landscapes. Or if you're into sports,
the 400 2.8 maybe the ticket.

Lens use is subjective, where I might use a 280 mm for portraits, others might
think I'm crazy. So for me to make a recommendation might be the complete
opposite for what you intend on shooting. But for what it's worth, I'd start
with the lens focal length you have been most comfortable using on a previous
camera. Then at least you'll have a comparison of image quality on film, lens
for lens, as well as being at ease learning how the camera feels and you see
in the new viewfinder, certainly in a manner you've been accustomed to.

As far as lenses I own, I've a bunch of them and as long as I stop dropping
and smashing them I should last for abit. ;-)
ted