Subject: Re: [Leica] A previsualisation aid
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:31:03 -0500

on 11/11/00 10:59 am, John Collier at jbcollier@home.com wrote:

> I read about a helpful aid to visualisation the other day and, unlike most
> things you read about, it works and is very useful. Take a cut out mount the
> size of your film format ‹35mm and medium format use a slide mount, for LF,
> you would have to make one‹and hold it the the focal length distance away
> from your eye. Bingo, you see what is going to be in the frame. You can also
> get a rough idea of the amount of shifting you may have to do but, of
> course, it is no help with the tilts :-). With 35mm it gets a little hard to
> measure and hold things accurately enough to differentiate between 21mm and
> 24mm but it works very well for the longer lenses and larger formats.

That's exactly what I do with 4x5. I have a 4x5 aperture cut out of a 10x8
mat, and a corresponding ruler thing I made up with notches for my various
focal lengths (90, 127, 203 mm). Works just great.

This is how a 'sports' finder works on a press camera, of course.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com