Subject: Re: [Leica] Film and developing questions:
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:56:21 -0800

William Pierce wrote:

> Mark -
>
> I also was the first in my neighborhood to roll, not shake, my tanks.
> Actually, it is one of the ways sensitomitrists, who need very uniform
> development, process film.  No streaks around the perforations, etc, etc.
>
> Like you, for years I faced the gods of leakage armed only with a simple
> roll of tape.  And then, one day, it hit me.  Buy a Jobo tank.  Since they
> are made to go on a rotary processor, they don't leak when you lay them down
> on their sides and roll them.  They are modular and, in theory, you can
> build them to any length or capacity you want.  I only use them with
> stainless reels.  They do not make center rod for those reels that will
> handle more than 8 reels, 4 rolls if you are an intermittent roller.
>
> Bill Pierce
> ><Snip>

Bill no ones ever accused me of being an intermittent roller!
High roller! Holy roller! High and holly roller! Roller Poller!
nothing resembling intermittent! :) Got a few good leave left in me before they
turn me into glue or dogfood!

When you taught me in a column you wrote in a mid 1960's pop photog to roll my
film back to back two in the same roll i often ran 16 rolls in the same two
liter 8 roll metal tank!
But no back to back stuff with Xtol that much respect I do pay to their claims
of limits of developer to film.
I got noticeable diachronic fog along the sprocket holes in my Tri X in Xtol 1:2
doing that so i swore that stuff off! But Xtol is worth it I think and I'll now
have two 2 liter tanks going simultanioly. Easier than juggling. One minute
behind the other. Oh Oh! that is starting to sound intermittent! Because it is!
I now have 16 35mm Hewe's reels for my two tanks and I've got them insured
through Barneys of Portland for a lifetime of rolling and other intermittent abuse.
The ugly specter of Jobo beckons. The sound of it "Jobo" is starting to not
sound so Satinistic to me.
There are hidden advantages to the system. C41 and E6 for the masses. Prints even!
So i continue to check it out and want to give it a try.
But continuous agitation like we have discussed I have a hard time getting past.
Like you at least not for my black and white.
Oh is that what intermittent means???!!!

mark rabiner

http://spokenword.to/rabiner/