Subject: [Leica] R8 grading; Mike Johnston
From: Thomas Donovan <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:59:20 -0500

Mike Johnston,

>>The cameras rate no better than a B on the grade scale<<

I'd rate the R8 as superior (A+) to anything else for my use. R optics
are an A++.......w/o peer ;-)!

Let me clarify what's important to me for my shooting. In essence, the
ability for a camera body ( 35mm) to be optimal for handheld work
AND tripod work. Lenses in question: a.) Handheld; 24mm, 35 f2, &
90 f2.8. b.) Tripod; 100 apo, & 180f2.8 apo.  I don't shoot sports;-)!

A few other variables; 1.) My R8 is w/o any attached motor;winder or drive.
2.) The screen is the GG version; no split image & an uncluttered view.

First, let's cover the traits that make the R8 optimal for handheld work!

A.) The "smoothness" of the shutter & mirror operation combined with the
optimal
mass (minimizing body shake) are *w/o* peer! Working in the "Hail Mary"
shutter
speed zone can produce great results. BTW, the shutter speeds are *very*
accurate.

B.) Although, I work in manual mode a lot, the combo of: 1.) "highly
"accurate
matrix meter. 2.) Program mode. 3.) Stepless shutter speeds in "P" mode.
interact beautifully for the "decisive moment". I use this combo for about
25%
of my work. You've got  to use this combo to believe the reults ;-)!

C.) Now to its brilliant viewfinder with the plain GG screen. Focusing is
quick, accurate
& uncluttered. AF yields no advantages for my kinda work; in fact, I think
R8 manual
focus is *more* accurate than AF. And,with manual focus, I can place an
"off center"
focus with ease.

When it comes to tripod work; a R8 with my 100 apo or180 f2.8 apo balance
perfectly
yielding no sign of vibration in my slides. For the slower shutter speeds;
pre-release
the mirror, set the 2-sec.  timer..........awesome results! Needless to
say,the tripod
mounts for the 280f4 &the 70-180 zoom, are great, yielding similar results.

I've tried other systems; Canon viewfinders are made from a combo of "dark"
matter & energy. I've got a Nikon F100 (great ergonomics & viewfinder) just
get at several of the *more* unique Nikkor lenses. The F100 lacks a mirror
pre-release function; thus overall flexibility is lessor. However, the F100
would
get a  A- from me for hand-held work ;-)!

Oh Mike, you ain't  felt & seen nothing until you get your hands on a R8
with
the 35 f2 (or perhaps a 50 f1.4 as well) capturing the "decisive moment".
The R8 is a remarkable bundle of "subtle" features that demand *real* usage
before judging its capabilities ;-)!

Tom D.