Subject: Re: [Leica] 14127 vs 14167
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 04:44:24 -0800

On Sun, 12 November 2000, "SML" wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Today I was testing my 125/2.5 Hektor with OUBIO and 14127 on my Leicaflex
> SL and came to wonder about the 14127 and the 14167.  It is my understanding
> that the 14127 is for the Leicaflex Standard while the 14167 is for the SL
> and SL2.  Come to think of it, all Viso lenses are manual lenses anyway.
> The why do I bother to use the 14167 with the SL or SL2?  Why can't I use
> the 14127?  In any case, I have to use stop-down metering.  Is there
> anything that I am missing here?
>   Another question that I had with the 14167 was its cam.  I have two
> 14167's which look brand-new.  They have the 3rd cam.  I thought they should
> have two cams to be used on the SL or SL2 just like the 2 cam lenses.  What
> am I missing here?
>   Anyway, the Hektor outfit with the 14127 worked beautifully on my SL.
>
> Thanks,
> David Lee

I've used the 14127 & viso lenses on the SL with no odd behavior.  It's just that the aperture ring does nothing, or could confuse an SL2 user who isn't terribly cognizant of where the aperture reading in the viewfinder comes from.  On the R4s/R4sP the 3rd-cammed 14167 works better because this body requires the nul cam to meter properly; since the 14127 does not have the 3rd nul cam I have to use +1.5 exposure compensation to get accurate meter readings.  With the SL either adapter works equally well.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento