Subject: [Leica] Re Delta 3200
From: pjs <pjs@worldpath.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:28:36 -0500

Giorgio Ferrari asked:
Are the developing times, [for Ilford Delta 3200] reported onto the
developers charts, wrong? (I can
exclude developing errors or fixing errors).
Have you experience with this film? Can you help me?

This is a frequently reported problem, consensus appears to me to be
that the times are wrong, that you need to extend the development time.
My own results suggest that this film is 800 to 1200 in speed.  I shoot
at that speed, then develop for the 1600 times, in DD-X, rounding off
toward more development.  The resulting negatives have a very high base
fog, which seems to be a characteristic of the emulsion, but great
tonalities.  I have had some streaking problems, and Ilford tech
services informed me that the developer should be mixed with tap water,
not distilled water, as was my practice.  Given the wide variety of tap
water, I found this odd, but that's what they said.  As previously
suggested, one nice aspect of this film is that it comes in 120.
Regards,
Phil Stiles NH USA