Subject: RE: [Leica] VueScan
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:52:41 -0800

I'm using Vuescan on my Polaroid SS4000.  I also have Polaroid's Insight (came with the scanner) and Lasersoft's Silverfast (paid full price -$259- for it).  Vuescan knocks both of them into the weeds as far as I'm concerned.  The main advantage of Ed's program is that I can get colour/density/contrast-corrected 16-bit scans into Photoshop.  I can't do that with either of the other packages.  The interface isn't a point-and-shoot GUI, but it gives you a lot more control than a GUI once you learn it.  Gee, remind anyone of a certain camera brand?

There are also a ton of film terms included for negative films, and the colour from slide scans is dead on.  For the price of a Leica lenscap, it's the bargoon of the digital darkroom universe, IMNSHO.

One more advantage - Vuescan supports many different scanners.  there's no need to buy new software if you swap scanner manufacturers.  Most bundled drivers (even Silverfast) don't offer that ability.

Paul Chefurka