Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash Cord Thread
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:15:39 -0700

The mechanical flash circuits are not damaged by the higher sync voltage of
older flash units. Certainly the higher voltage may require the points be
cleaned sooner than with a lower sync voltage but the lower sync voltage
will stop working with only slightly corroded contacts. It probably comes
out even in the end. The TTL cameras, which have electronic switching for
the flash, can be damaged by the older high sync voltage flashes. An M4-2
has two separate flash circuits for the pc socket and the hot shoe. You
could easily use a hot shoe adapter with a pc terminal and then use the
other set of switching points (and another five years MTBF).