Subject: Re: [Leica] composition & exposure [was: Mike'n'Marc'n'Zeiss]: long!
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:02:46 -0500

D Khong jotted down the following:

> I do not understand why there is so much gripe for DOF markings. I hardly use
> them on my Leica lenses except when I am doing hyperfocal settings on rare
> occasions.

They are invaluable for zone-focussing.  I often set my lens (35mm or 50mm)
at 3m with an aperture of f/5.6 or f/8.  The DOF markings remind me of what
will be sharp in the final picture and then I can use my feet to get the
subject within that zone.

It's like mirror lock-up: Some people can't understand why you'd want it,
others cannot live without it.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | "We can't make mistakes like that on our
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   |  own. We need computers to help us."
email: howard.390@osu.edu     |     -- A pharmacologist on computerization

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] composition & exposure)