Subject: Re: [Leica] D-23
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:44:57 -0800

D Khong wrote:

> <<<<<<<<If I might add, D-23 is a very simple and economical formula to
> prepare.
> The results are more than satisfactory and the effects on modern films
> remind me of  pictures taken during the era if the Leica III.<<<<<<<

Hi Dan,

D-23 is a wonderful developer that my 2 partners and myself used for about 6
years before I decided to fly on my own.

Hundreds of rolls souped in that developer which we mixed in our darkroom on
a little bitty scale as we had to weigh the chemicals out before mixing.. A
few months ago I was printing some of the negs that were 402 years old ,
oops!  42 years old! ;-) and the prints are beautiful. :-)

I agree, the look really is from another era, as my negs of today don't have
the same look to them, no matter whether T-max and T-max developer or any
other film and EXTOL.

Maybe it was the tri-x of the day and the D23, the lenses, the innocents of
all things photographic.   it was a wonderful time of innocents,  who asked
questions?  It was a Leica !  ERGO! It was the magical camera that took
great pictures. Of course we didn't know at the time that, "he who holds the
camera" is what makes the camera look good. :-)

No question,  D23 does something the developers of today do not do.  Please
don't ask me anything technical as why, what or how the negs from 40 years
ago look beautiful and full of nice tones and they arrived in the world via
D23.

ted

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] D-23)