Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux vs Summicron
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:46:08 -0800

>Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> wrote:
>
>> It's stupid to use an f/1 lens at f/5.6 or f/8.
>
>More so than using an f/1.4 lens at f/11 or f/16?  Should I never use
>my f/2 lens at f/22? I don't understand.
>I think he means that it's stupid to fit a Noctilux if you're going to
>stop it down all the time to f/5.6 or f/8 ... in other words, why
>burden yourself with something you're not going to use? Why not use a
>more compact lens, of lower cost, that can do the same job just as
>well?
>Ray

watch it ray!

our acceptance of your proposition hinges on your precise definition of
"the same job"!

for we hair-splitting american luggers, no one said it better than our
soon-to-be-former president and free-styling philologist when he put forth
that it all, and i quote: "depends on what your definition of the word 'is'
is."

ho!

guy (who wishes his noctilux stopped down to f/64)