Subject: [Leica] the nocti-summi saga continues
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:42:43 -0800

here goes:

>In a message dated 11/15/00 9:34:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, guybnt@idt.net
>writes:
>
><< anyone who owns the noctilux has *already* paid the price.>>
>
>Yes, but in reality, it is only little more than half what you suggest it is.

as i posted this morning, current new price is $2795 at b&h. where can i
get a new noctilux for $1400?

> <<and to those who generally stop their noctilux down to 5.6 or smaller, i
> also recommend the following techniques:
>
> - buy an m6 0.85 for use with your wide angle lenses
> - buy a new m6 0.85 and mount your 135 on it
> - pick up a 0.72 m6 as a back up camera>>
>
>And what would be the precise working definition of the word "generally"
>here?

how about "more often than not" - isn't that what 'generally' generally
means in english?

>If one really wants or needs the Noctilux and cannot afford to keep or
>buy another 50, then it is the other lens, not the Noctilux, which becomes
>the luxury.  Alternatively,
>if the Noctilux will not be used to a reasonable extent for its intended
>purpose, it is only so much high-priced jewelry.   That is your point, is it
>not?

ah, that is exactly my point, and i believe is was also the point of the
lugger who started this thread by daring to suggest this revolutionary idea.

> <<but please only do so after you've mastered using flash with your
>noctilux!>>
>
>Don't need no stinkin' flash with no Noctilux ( but which unit do you
>recommend?).

i never use flash, so i'll have to defer to the flashers on this one.

>Actually, for backlit situations, fill flash could prove very effective, but
>I spent all my money on the lens.(:
>
>Joe Sobel

when they're selling for $1400?!

guy