Subject: Re: [Leica] Empiricism
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:58:54 +0100

On 15 Nov 00, at 12:47, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> So the gathering of opinions instead of gathering facts?

I'd say the *forming* of an opinion. "I like this look, and want to do
more of that" rather than "My densitometer reads thus so the print
should be made this way".

If I'm making an image to measure an object, I want the lighting
perfect to define edges, the exposure with the best latitude to
define the object. If I want to convey an emotion, I may want to blur
that edge and block up certain highlights or shadows.

Scientific purity often doesn't convey the intent.