Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter for Noctilux
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:08:59 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I would agree, and I don't use UV filters for "critical" (most?)
work....
However, when Leica "nuts" (99% of leica consumers) WON'T  pay 80% of
fair market price because of a tiny coating mark or "dust" specks inside,
I can truly understand the obsession....

Nikon lenses from the 60s cost about 75% the price of then-current Leica
glass (in the sixties/seventies).
Today, an MF nikkor can be had for $50-150....Leica glass SHOULD cost
a little more....
But when a 60s 50 summicron costs $500+, I understand the concern.
Based on this, a cleaning mark or two will "de-value" the lens by
50%+ percent...HUNDREDS of dollars...I know, these are the lenses I look to buy!!!....(bought
my wife a "mint" looking 35 summicron for $300---cuz it had some
'coating flaws'....she uses the hell out of it...thank god for lunatics...

I feel like an idiot using UV filters on leica glass...until I think of the
NEXT snivelling weenie I try to sell it to....and yes, I buy them to
use, but I've only got ONE of my "original" used lenses...so I probably
>WILL< sell them in my lifetime.....

Back to my prozac now....and thanks for the bandwidth...I envy you, Tina....
you're a much saner person than I, I'm afraid....

Walt