Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston vs yul brenner
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:07:37 -0800

>> >We did all go though Eggleston a few months ago.
>> >What about we obsess over a different photographer?
>> >mark rabiner
>>
>> how 'bout yul brenner?
>>guy
>
>I don't have any brenner!!!! :)
>yul brenner???
>Wasn't he a nicitine addict???
>mark rabiner
>

>and a pretty good photography enthusiast.
>Wrote the preference of a "Boleshovsky on Acting" book that made a big
>impression on me when i was a kid.
>I guess he was a serious artist.

he may have been a serious dramatic artist, but i personally don't think
his photography ever pretends to art. it's more a kind of personal
documentary of the 'behind the scenes' scene of movie making, made by
someone who was there, who knew and worked with everyone, and who managed
to capture the atmosphere of that particular activity on (35mm) film.

while he was a leica user, he was not a leica extremist - there are photos
of him using nikons and contaxes as well as leicas. though, on a
sentimental note, there's a quote from his wife who wrote that yul's first
gift to her was a leica.

guy

Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] Eggleston vs yul brenner)