Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA R 50mm Lenses
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:31:25 EST

In a message dated 11/16/00 11:24:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
telyt560@cswebmail.com writes:

<< I don't know about the 35mm Summilux-R but for the 35mm Summicron-R,
definitely yes.  The early version (Canada) was big & bulky and delivered
excellent results while the current version (Germany, E55 filter) is not as
big and improves on the performance of the Canadian version.  Aside from the
detail rendition under ordinary light, the E55 version shows hardly any flare
even under the most difficult lighting conditions.  For example, people lit
by a Coleman lantern at night, with the lantern in the photo >>

    Thanks for your response.  By the way, anyone is welcome to offer
guidance on this question.
    I have an opportunity to buy the earlier lens at what appears to be an
attractive price ($400.00)  I have been holding out for the later (55)
version, and it looks as if that is the thing to do.  If the lens is not all
that impressive, it will be a $400.00 paperweight.
    I suppose a better question would be how it stacks up against a lens I
already know well, the latest pre-Aspheric Summicron-M.  All input is
welcome!

Thanks,
Joe Sobel

Joe