Subject: Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:10:12 EST

In a message dated 11/16/00 12:35:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, tt@tristan.net
writes:

<< I'm not really at the point of being comfortable been seen taking
 pictures. I guess I'm shy and even afraid to take pictures of people
 in the street... >>

    That looks like the real issue, at least preliminarily.  I got past the
problem by using a cosmetically flawed IIb with Summitar at first.  People
generally ignored me.  If they were at all interested in what I was up to,
they probably were wondering why I was going through the motions of taking
photos, without benefit of anything that looked like a camera.
    After you build some confidence, it should be easier to unsheath your
real axe.  Remember that people react differently.  I have aroused suspicion
doing nothing more than pulling out a Pentax spotmeter and putting it to me
eye.  That is probably because it looks more like a contemporary piece of
technology than the old LTM camera with which I was using it.
    Finally, it is probably a good idea to have some answers ready for the
occasional interrogator.  I have told people all kinds of nonsensical things
when they ask what I am doing or why I am taking pictures.  The object is to
make them laugh, relax and engage them or, if all else fails, get them to
take you for a harmless fool.  If you really need examples, I will oblige,
but you are generally more effective if you use your own material.

Have fun!

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?)