Subject: [Leica] Re: Thomas Duplex Super Safelight
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:30:41 -0500

I use the Thomas safelight and I have found after testing for fog with Ilford RC papers that the light is too bright even with the filtered flaps down. I ended up putting one strip of gaffers tape over the filters to prevent fogging which diminished the brightness of the safelight considerably. The best thing to do is to make tests with the papers you normally use. Paper speed for different types and manufacturers can vary quite a bit. Retest when you use a new paper. The subtle effects of fogging will be most noticeable in the exposed lighter tones - not in unexposed white borders. That's why it's important to test paper that has been exposed to light - not unexposed paper. Choose a lighter area of an image for testing.

The bulbs have a very long life. I've only had to replace it once in a safelight that is on sixteen hours a day, five days a week, for nine years.

Personally, I prefer a darkroom that is not too bright. It's easier to see what you are doing when burning and dodging a print.

Robert