Subject: Re: [Leica] More on C41 processing
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:00:08 -0600

>Since Henry asked his questions about Jobo and C41 processing earlier
>this week, I have noticed a really useful innovation from Tetenal. Their
>chemicals will now be available in pill form. Each pill of developer,
>bleach/fix and stabilizer will process one film. The kit comes in
>packages of 12 pills of each kind. This is excellent as it eliminates
>the problem of short shelf life of mixed C41 chemistry for those of us
>who only shoot C41 infrequently. According to Foto Mayr in Germany, this
>chemistry will be available at the end of this month.
>
>Nathan

Hi Nathan and all,

I've not reported back on my C41 quest since I have not received my
chemicals yet. I wanted to have more complete info before I reported
back. (hands on experience)

This C41 chemistry in pill form is EXACTLY what I think many people will
find useful. One of the problems I suspected was that of wasting $25
worth of chemistry for only a few rolls before the chemicals went out of
date. (@4-8 weeks after mixing)
Of course, I want 100% reliable and consistent results, the pills seem to
promise that as well since its one-shot-fresh everytime.

This has been a kind of funny research project. Apparently not too many
folks need or want to do C41 themselves. I've received 3 responses
(thanks Nathan, Jim, Tina) from people with experience in color
processing. I really thought I'd have many answers.

A good bit of the info I've found has been negative. But I'm beginning to
think its mostly from folks who have never really done it - just
rehashing what someone else told them - about how hard it is to control
the process and get reliable results.

Anyway, more soon.

Henry