Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:21:24 -0500

At 12:08 PM 11/17/00 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Tina,
>Are you  measuring it with a flat diffuser on your Minolta or the little
>dome? If the dome it'll vary from holding the filter in front of it cause
>it is gathering light from the whole hemisphere of the dome. Your hand
>and the filter's metal ring block some light. With the flat diffuser
>installed you actually have a chance of measuring "through the filter
>only"

I'm using it with the incident light dome off.

>Try it with a spotmeter mounted on a stand aimed carefully at an evenly
>ilumminated area.
>No filter - read. Then filter  - read again. Without moving the meter.
>
>Even better burn some film!

I was only doing the test to justify leaving the UV filter off to others on
the LUG.  I have no intention of putting a piece of glass in front of my
Leica lenses!
I'll try it again with the spotmeter but no matter what it shows, I'm still
not using filters!  If reflections or flare from the filter ruin even one
picture, it's too many for me.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com