Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:37:40 EST

In a message dated 11/17/00 1:58:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
robert.appleby@tin.it writes:

<< The only negative effect I can see a filter having on any lens (let's not
 get itnto exotica like vignetting caused by normal mount polarisers on 19
 mm lenses here) is increased reflection = flare. But I've never seen it
 myself. Most flare IMO and IME is actually 90% bad exposure.
 Anyway, I doubt you'll agree. >>

Actually veiling glare.  I shared your suspicion about bad exposure, poor
processing, inept printing and other causes.   Then I did comparisons, in the
same light, of the same subject, on the same roll, between the Noctilux and
other lenses.  In truly adverse conditions, the Noctilux excels, and visibly
so.  I cannot provide measurements.  The lens simply makes the lighting look
better than it is.  Better not to mess with it.

Joe Sobel