Subject: Re: [Leica] Trouble focusing a Leica CL and screwmount lens?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 07:32:02 -0700

First the bad news:

The CL has framelines only for the 40, 50 and 90 lenses, any other lenses
would require a separate finder. The CL has a much shorter effective
rangefinder base and this limits the aperture you can accurately focus and
the focal length you can accurately focus as well. Around 50mm, no more than
f2.0, and at 90mm, no more than f4.0. Some people have reported having no
troubles focusing a 90/2.8 wide open. The CL's rangefinder windows are much
closer to the lens mount and can be easily completely obscured by large
lenses, for example (extreme) the Noctilux and the 75/1.4. The CL is
slightly smaller internally than a M body and some lenses will not mount
such as the 35/2 where you need to unscrew a protective "shade" from the
rear element to mount the lens. Because of the semaphore metering arm,
collapsible lenses should have tape wrapped around their barrels to prevent
them for damaging the metering arm when the lens is collapsed (see Leica
Handbook for details). The meter will not work with lenses with larger
apertures than f2, you can mount a 50/1.4 but the meter can not take
advantage of the extra light wide open. The CL uses the now illegal 1.35v
mercury battery.

Now the good news:

The CL has an excellent range of lenses, both the 40/2 and the 90/4 are
wonderful lenses. The CL has no problem working with M lens cams, or with
the appropriate adapter, LTM lenses. The CL is still easily repaired and
serviced. The CL has a built in TTL meter! Remember that at the same time
the M5 had to have a major amount of steroids to fit a TTL meter in. There
are replacement ZnAir 1.4v batteries that, while they do not last long, are
very inexpensive. Finally the CL is such a great deal!! A $1000 or less can
often buy a user body and both lenses!!!

John Collier

Replies: Reply from lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Trouble focusing a Leica CL and screwmount lens?)