Subject: [Leica] Re: Eggleston the Ungood
From: Howard Wells <sandwell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:17:23 -0500

Ah, Eggleston. Somewhere I have an article about him from a glossy
non-photographic magazine that featured a shot of a table in one of his
living rooms that is covered with LTM cameras and lenses. At least he
uses the right equipment unlike Sally Mann--nice article on her new work
in the NYTs today.

I had the good fortune to photograph Terry Barrett (author of
Criticizing Photographs: An Introduction to Understanding Images and
Criticizing Art among other books) working with an art class the other
day. This was an upper level class at a small college of art and design.
I was impressed at how charitable he was with the students--always
looking for understanding and increased appreciation.

Too often what passes for criticism is simply dismissive of the work
without any attempt to see or understand it.  Barrett says aesthetic
criticism looks for answers to four basic questions: What is here?  What
is it about?  How good is it? Is it art? I recommend his book to anyone
who is interested in broadening their understanding and appreciation of
photographic images. Cheers,

Howard Wells