Subject: Re: [Leica] ......Leicas in movies......
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:17:49 -0500

>Only dif between the versions in English and German is the language...I

>think...having seen them both a while ago.......
>Best, B. D.

I have the English version on tape, and I saw the original full length
German language version when it was first shown on British TV around
1982. Not only is the English language dubbing of the tape I have so-so,
but quite a lot was cropped out plot-wise to turn it into a reasonable
length movie rather than the mini series it started out as. What you
lose are the no-action interludes which show the crushing boredom of
much of warfare and the way in which this boredom suddenly gives way to
high terror. In other words, whoever cut it to movie length destroyed a
lot of what made it great, imho.

And yes, I also wondered how he was getting pictures in a dimly lit sub
with what looks like a 3.5 elmar. Especially since I distinctly remember
the shutter going "click," not "cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick." :)

Incidentally, if you are into this kind of thing, another good one is
"Stalingrad." The Germans seem to be very good at utterly depressing war
movies! No Leica content that I recall, however.

Simon Stevens.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] ......Leicas in movies......)