Subject: Re: [Leica] 90/2 Apo Aspheric: stiff focusing ??
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:37:32 -0800

David Freedman wrote:

> out of
> the box, found the focusing action to be extremely stiff and uneven.
> Rotation is smooth from infinity down to approx. the 8-foot mark on the
> scale, then gets noticeably stiffer down to 5-feet or so, then eases up a
> bit. With the camera up to my eye, I actually find it difficult to turn the
> focusing ring from near to far. Is this typical or should it be exchanged
> for a different sample?<<<<<<<<<,

Hi David,

It should be as smooth as silk end to end like any Leica lens. If there is a
drag it should be equal all the way infinity to nearest point.

But to have it drag hard in one area is probably indicative of a "bind" and not
normal, certainly when it eases and becomes smooth again. I'd have it right back
to the store looking for another and I'd sure as hell run the replacement
through end to end right in front of the clerk. And if there was any kind of
twitch I'd make him try it.

ted Grant

Message from "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net> ([Leica] 90/2 Apo Aspheric: stiff focusing ??)