Subject: Re: OT [Leica] LTM Nikkors: Was: Just for fun, an APO test
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:55:26 -0500

Agreed.  Now try this:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante/105test.jpg

It's a blowup (via SprintScan) to the equivalent of 50" on the long side (so
about 35x) of a shot *wide-open* with a 105 Nikkor in LTM on my M3 (I believe
the exposure was 1/1000 sec, ND4x, f/2.5), on TMX developed with DIAFINE at 3
min A, 5 min B, 68 degrees. No tripod.

The large picture is a part of a 2700dpi scan at one scan pixel to one screen
pixel (so 3699 pixels / 72dpi = 51.35").
The small picture is a 72dpi scan of the whole neg.  The area the large one was
taken from is circled.

Neat, huh?  Too bad it wasn't Tech Pan.  Probably just a manufacturing anomaly
that it's so sharp but considering that this is less than 1/4 the price of a
90/2 APO, well... if it were half as good it would still be worth it. My
question is why people don't use longer lenses as standard when they can - they
just do so much better.

Note the good bokeh and "Sonnar glow."  Sonnars wide open seem to have a type of
halation that makes object edges glow as if the shot were taken on film with
extended red sensitivity at dusk... I have observed this with a number of the
variants, such as the 50/1.5, 85/2 and 105/2.5.

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Just for fun, an APO test)