Subject: Re: [Leica] Vulcanite + replacement leather
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:41:51 EST

<< For All,

 Do NOT try and remove the vulcanite from your Leica with the hopes of
keeping it in one piece. Vulcanite is extremely brittle when it has degraded
 the point where it chips off the camera. It may not look brittle when it is
held firmly against the camera, but I can assure you that most vulcanite
 is brittle after 50 years.  I have a 1947 IIIc in front of me right now
where 80% of the vulcanite has come off and the remaining 20% is only hanging
 on because an edge is tucked under the slow speed dial.  Removing vulcanite
in one piece would be like trying to stretch a piece of holiday ribbon
 candy - it's that fragile.  There is also no evidence of any adhesive having
been used to attach the vulcanite at the factory on this model IIIc.  If,
 in fact, there are some Leicas with vulcanite that was glued on by the
factory, then Leitz may have modified their vulcanite attachment procedures
 over the years. That may explain why some cameras don't have any problems;
along with the nose and hand oils previously mentioned.

 I have a IIIA, and the IIIc, waiting for perfectly textured replacement
leather, which I haven't purchased yet.  Has anyone purchased the diecut
 replacement leather that Stephen Shuart is selling?  How does it look
compared to the material Fargo sells?

 Regards,
 Rob McElroy
 Buffalo, NY

Hello group . If I had an old Leica with vulcanite peeling , I 'd remove it
all then paint the camera with black silicon paint .
The kind of paint used for Aircraft electonic equipment . It's very hard and
in addition it 's not glossy and ensures a good handling
Jo GOODTIMES , France