Subject: [Leica] Re: [OT] Age and style
From: MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:41:47 -0500

At 05:38 PM 11/26/00 +0100, Erwin P wrote:
>My English may not be good enough, but I was under the impression that
>"..articles from 1870" means a  range, that is articles dating from 1870 and
>that "since 1870" indicates a start date.
>Semantics is interesting: does the "from 1870" refer to the date of the
>articles or to the date that the study started?

Fear not, Erwin, you communicate in written "English" at least as well as
our average U.S. American. I believe you even posses a bit larger
vocabulary, in fact. In this case, the common reader of the American
Standard dialect of "English" could have interpreted your message either as
you meant it or as was humorously suggested.

Semantics is indeed interesting. Even more interesting to me is the effect
that the Internet is having on the written and verbal U.S.American dialect.
The English language isn't something that has ever been a stable thing but
it is certainly changing very rapidly now that so many 'native speakers'
have so much more intimate contact with so many others for whom 'English'
is a second language and who therefore  bring different flavour to it.

We all really do live in interesting times.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube