Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger lenses
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:29:50 -0500

Andrew-

I have a Ic also- and an extra extension tube- the tube should allow the
clearance of the lever!

As to the autofocus feature- the 'cam' is sloped or cut to allow the 50mm
lens to stay in focus throughout the travel of the head. If you use another
lens, this relationship is lost. Even a '50'mm lens might not focus
correctly- For example, I looked at the B&H site to see the specs on the
Schneider APO-Companon 40/2,8 that he mentioned, and they state the actual
focal length is 41.5mm. I would assume that any 50mm lens might be slightly
more or less.
Leitz, I am sure, made the cam and the Focotars compatible, and that the
lens is close enough to 50mm that the autofocus will work from one Focotar
to the next, but may vary slightly with other brands!

Brighter light? I use a Philips "Halogena"  bulb, and put a 150 watt one in
my VALOY, and got two full stops more light than the 75 watt bulb! So the
4,5 Focotar is as bright as about a 1,5 Summarit!!!

Dan