Subject: [Leica] Zeiss enlarger lenses
From: imxputs@ision.nl
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:37:21 +0100 (CET)

Ardrian asked:
Whilst I am addressing you about optics: what do you know about the Zeiss
S-Orthoplanar and S-Biogon lenses as enlarging optics? I understand they are
the absolute best lenses for enlargements though they were not intended for
regular photography. Have you ever compared them to the best Apo Componons
and Apo Rodagons, the Leica lenses or the legendary Apo El Nikkor 105mm?
Just wondered at which point the difference might be noticeable...
***
The Zeiss enlarger lenses are indeed the best you can buy. When discussing
optical quality issues and imaging chain aspects at Oberkochen, I saw examples
of these lenses. When needing enlargements of quite big proportions, these
lenses are superior.
When I heard the price, however , I lost all interst. I do not recall exactly,
but a price tag odf several thousands of dollars was to high for an adavantage
in a limited area (20 to 30+ enlargements).

Erwin

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Zeiss enlarger lenses)