Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:34:41 -0700

It is unfortunate that you feel this way. It is a camera and that's all.
Many of the great Leica lenses were designed and manufactured in Canada.
Right now I do not have a Canadian body but when I did I felt no difference
when using the cameras. Right now I have a German inspected Portuguese
camera and have had no problems (except for the aforementioned apple juice
and basketball incidents). I did not buy a Hexar RF because I prefer the
0.72 finder and dislike match diode meter displays. If Leica comes out with
an M6AE with a similar meter display, I will not buy that regardless of what
accent the assembly line workers have. In today's global economy, Leica will
be gone in minutes if they have to source and assemble from only German
suppliers and workers. Fortunately, like the charming citizens of the USA
who cry "Remember the Alamo" , Leica management cries out "Remember the
SL2". Great camera which Leica lost huge sums on. Some people have said the
SL2 sold for half of what it cost to build.

Cheers,

John Collier