Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:32:27 +0100

From: Paul Chefurka
> And linking "natural born ability" to one's country of origin has
some pretty unpleasant echoes, Alan.
- -----------------------
I'm sorry Paul but I don't understand your problem with that.
Everybody has a natural born ability for something and it is my
understanding that these abilities are contained in a genetic code that
determines behaviour and ability and physical characteristics.  It is
also my understanding that this genetic code is hereditry.  I am
certainly no expert on this and maybe I am confused between DNA and the
genetic spiral.  But surely it follows that if there is a heredity
connection then groups of people isolated by language etc can form a
national characteristic caused by the prevelence of a certain gene.

The islands of Tonga in the Pacific have just signed an exclusive
contract with a medical research group for the investigation in the DNA
of Tongans who tend to obesity.  It is hoped to isolate this gene to
help other sufferers.  Genetics and CoO is not all bad.

I assume your unpleasant echoes are derived from the abuse of these
national differences and I would be very upset if you or anybody
concluded that I hold such views.

I live in Sweden where it is permitted to discuss any subject openly as
long as the arguments are fair.  I apologise if this attitude has
caused me to trigger buttons in any narrow minded individual who
shelter under the restrictions of political correctness.  Not you, but
I'll bet as sure as eggs are eggs that someone in this group will cut
and paste my post to make me look like Slobadon Milosovic(sp).

With respect
Alan

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin)
Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin)