Subject: [Leica] Gandy & Puts objectivity
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:56:22 -0600

May I point out that not all of Erwin's Leica lens reports are unabashedly
positive.  Take for instance his report/test of the 40mm f2.8 Focotar enlarging
lens for the V-35 enlarger.   He compared it to the 50mm f2.8 APO Rodagon (or
was it the Componon?), and concluded that  the Focotar was an excellent lens and
was just dandy for the 3X - 16X autofocusing range of the V35, but did not
compare favorably with the 50mm lens at larger magnifications.  His conclusions
agree with my test of the 40mm Focotar lens that I own.  But I was a little put
out at him for "unfairly" comparing the 40mm Focotar to a 50mm lens of recent
design from another manufacturer.  After all, 50mm lenses are easier to design
than 40mm wide angle enlarging lenses.  Why didn't he compare the Focotar
against another 40 mm enlarging lens such as the 40mm f2.8 APO Componon?  Again,
however, the APO Componon is a recent design, and the Focotar was designed in
the late 70s or early 80s.  Why, I asked myself, didn't he test it against the
50mm f4.5 Focotar-2, and keep it in the Leica family.

Embarrassing!

How could Erwin commit this dastardly deed against our beloved Leica
Company???!!!!!!

Ferrel Anderson