Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:53:46 -0500

At 10:42 PM 11/30/2000 +0100, Alan Hull wrote:
>From: Marc James Small
>> Well, to be fair, the French and British armies late sliced through
>the Wehrmacht "like a hot knife through butter"
>
>I wouldn't call a five year campaign "like a hot knife through butter"

But it wasn't a "five year campaign".  It took the Germans in 1940 six
weeks to clear France of the BEF and to cause the French to seek an
Armistice.  It took the Allies in 1944 from 6 JUN until the German border
was reached in September -- three or four months.  A bit longer -- but the
Germans had had four years to build massive defenses -- and they took
massive casualties in losing France, much higher than either the French or
British took in 1940.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!