Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:41:19 -0500

Hey!
Why is everybody picking on Erwin?
Here is a guy who take his own time and money, has developed an expertise
and freely gives his findings without charge, or much prejudice to the Leica
User Group, and he is excoriated for what he does! I need to make a list of
people to whom I am NOT going to do any favors for fear of incurring their
wrath! Like the old saying goes- "No good deed goes unpunished"
As far as his bona fides, he has demonstrated a very thorough knowledge of
the topics about which he write, and if he were a hack, I doubt that Leica
would give him the space in their publications that they do. I never went to
school to learn photography, but in the past 35 years I have picked up a lot
of knowledge, and experience. While I don't pretend to be an expert, I do
hope that I have contributed something, and no one has accused me 9f being a
hack! I think that Erwin should be accorded the same consideration- he never
has claimed to be an expert, but  has always handled himself in a scholarly
and gentlemanly way, imparted information that I have found at time useful,
and at times superfluous, but always given freely, and with good cheer. That
is no reason to keep pounding on the guy! Fer Cryin' out loud! Lighten up,
to paraphrase a quotation of a sentiment expressed earlier!

I mean, I may never be able to afford an APO Summicron 90, and I use Tri-X
develped in Rodinal and would even try to do it in Tidee-Bowl toilet cleaner
if it gave me the effect I wanted. If I get 2 or 3 lp/mm and it shows what I
want, I am happy, but it is nice to know that should I want to use
microfiche film, and a 300 pound tripod, to record 300 lp/mm that the lens
would do it! It is interesting and part of the Leica lore- if you don't like
it...well don't read about it!

I rmember all the foofarah about lens cleaners- ROR, Zeiss, and others...
Well, I tried them and they were okay- I still mix my own however, and use
it joyously, but I didn't go around pounding others on the head for their
opinion. I think we ought to accord Erwin the same leeway- read him if you
like, relish his dedication to finding the ultimate limits of Leica glass,
and know that the limits of possibilities are being considered. IF you don't
care for that, use you delete key, and go on!

Dan (Often bemused, bedazzled, befuddled, and bedamned) Post

Message from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens)
Message from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens)
Message from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens)