Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:40:39 -0700

B.D. Colen unfortunately wrote:

> Well if your family is from England, and you have gaps in your family tree
> caused by those warriors of the master race, I suggest you re-read the
> utterly racist crap you've been posting and then spend some time
> apologizing to those members of your family who fell to the Huns.

I think that all of us LUGers would do well to stop and take a look at what
is happening here. This thread began because of a statement that some of the
manufacturing of cameras is done in Portugal rather than Germany.

We've traveled a long way from there and a lot of the way has been downhill.

Having lived through the time of World War II and having been subjected to
the urge to hate those of some other nations during that time and
thereafter, one of the things that strongly appeals to me about the exchange
of ideas over the Internet is the breaking down of national barriers, the
phenomenon of people sharing ideas and friendly feelings without regard to
nationality.

Quite often that experience gives me hope for a true and lasting brotherhood
of mankind. A Family of Man.

This thread is, therefore, very depressing to me. It is a sadness, not an
anger that I feel. I am hearing words of hate rather than words of
friendship, words of wartime propagandists rather than words of forgiveness
and oneness.

The facile answer of Use the Delete Button is not really an answer. The
answer is that we should not be expected to submit ourselves to words of
hate on LUG. How that is implemented is up to someone other than me, but I
strongly believe it should be implemented.

- -- Paul

Paul Arnold
22 Sunrise St.
Dillon, Montana