Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: C41 films
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 03:20:44 EST

In a message dated 02-12-00 02:59:36 GMT Standard Time, rshuntl@netscape.net
writes:

<< I followed with interest the discussion of C41 b&w films. But here's a
question: If you are going to shoot C41, why not use a color film so that you
have the choice of color or black and white prints?  No need to carry two
cameras, one loaded with color and the other with b&w.
     Steve >>

There are two reasons why I don't do this:

1. The quality/tonality does not seem as good to me, although I do it when
necessary; but more importantly

2. There is a mind frame to shooting colour which is different to that
involved in shooting b&w. In other words, you just have to see differently in
b&w, looking at tones rather than colour. Fine, so look at tones when you
think it will look good in b&w, and vice versa. I have tried that, but my
mind just can't get round thinking in b&w knowing there is colour in the
camera. Sounds stupid maybe, but there it is.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Tel: (0)23 8046 3076
Fax: (0)23 8034 8542