Subject: Re: [Leica] Tokyo
From: Mikiro <arbos@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 12:17:40 +0100

Tarek-
It is a pity that you leave before new year holidays, which are the most
special (and phogogenic) time of the year in Japan (like Christmas in
occidental countries). Nevertheless, during your stay, you can enjoy special
atmosphere of the year-end (toshi-no-se) in markets where people buy new
year ornaments and food to make "osechi-ryori" with, particularly in down
town area (Ueno, Asakusa, et al.)

There is a big photo museum (Tokyo-to Shashin Bijutsukan, or Metropolitan
Museum of Photography) in Ebisu (near Shibuya) and many many small galleries
that would interest you. I cannot give you detailed info because I do not
live there now.

Tokyo is a Leica heaven. Just walk around Ginza area and you will find a
dozen camera shops displaying a variety of Leicas. New items are reasonably
priced (a gray market M6 is sold for around 1600 euro), while old ones,
particularly collector's items are very expensive.  Lemon Co.
(http://www.lemonsha.com) used to be a place I haunted. It is worth a visit.

I enjoyed your site very much. C'est cool.

Cheers,

Mikiro
A Tokyoite born and bred, now living on the Rhine
http://arbos.silva.net