Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Ansel Adams/John Wimberley WAS Mapplethorpe,highquailty porn
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:50:05 -0800

What I was thinking of is John's most famous book "Quiet Light"
http://www.photography.net/html/sexton.html . John is his own photographer
for sure, but some of the Ansel Adams heritage can be seen in his work.
John worked for Ansel 1979 to 1982 and lived only a few miles from him for
many years. John lives in Carmel Valley and Ansel lived in the Carmel
Highlands.

Yes I met Ansel numerous times out in the field. But as I said, a genuinely
nice guy who liked to talk about photography and the CA coast. I personally
happen to like Ansel Adams display prints. I believe that they bring life
and substance to what would otherwise be just another slab of granite, or
another bend in the river. AA's Horseshoe bend in Green River is wonderful.
Eggleston's bend in the road is circular file material.

Photographs do not in any way have to be about something, they can "of"
something with equal force. What would I choose to look at every day, a man
jumping over a puddle or an Ansel Adams masterpiece?

I'll choose AA for sure.

Jim