Subject: [Leica] Never again!
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 00:30:43 +0100

The combined effect of those exhibits was devastating.  The most awful
feeling for me was that I wanted with all my heart to say "Never again",
but the evidence wass all too clear that this will keep happening because
of the ability we have to think of other people as things.  I can only hope
that photographs like this will help counteract that tendency.
<<<<<

I suspect that a budding genocide would look at those pictures and say:
wow, how can I improve on that...

On a related tangent, I'm just reading a book about NatGeo which ends with
the following considerations:

"Barthes emphasises the need to probe the history of social arrangements.
Rather than scratching human history to reveal the solid rock of a
universal human nature, he argues, a progressive humanism must scour nature
to discover history, and finally to establish Nature itself as
historical.... It is the superficial "humanizing" of others, rather than
the empathetic probing of different lifeways, experiences, and interests
that creates the crises of understanding that break open at times of war."

Which is why the syrupy Family of Man (the original, not Alistair's
project) and its lookalikes is such a total failure, IMO. It doesn't cut
deep, nor does it acknowledge difference as a essential part of the human
landscape. Paradoxically, by stopping short in this way it effectively
promotes intolerance of difference.

Rob.