Subject: Re: [Leica] erotica/pornography
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:24:03 -0700

Oh no! DH Lawrence was a pornographer after all :-).

It is difficult to define pornography as our cultural upbringing and life
experiences have an enormous influence on how we feel about certain types of
images (both visual and mental). I recently struggled with this over the
Mapplethorpe book, "Pictures". No easy answers came for me and I can well
understand the furore that it raised amongst the right and the religious. In
a strict Islamic nation perhaps even showing a women's face, or even just
her hair, might not only be considered pornography but enflame the same
passions as Playboy does in our own young pubescent males*. It is not so
long ago that ankles were "hot stuff" in Western society.

John Collier

*A statement made to illustrate a point not to state a fact about Islam,
Islamic nations or followers of Islam....or young males.