Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Language, thought, and survial
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:04:38 -0500

John Collier jotted down the following:

> I think that evolution tended to favour the, now considered rash, quick
> thinker rather than the contemplator when faced with a sabre-tooth tiger.

Good point, but also slightly off target.  With the advent of language we
have the capacity of -- and daily exercise in -- abstract, rational thought.
Yet, what is surprising is that while we use it constantly, we stop way
short of the limits of this faculty.

Other survival points to consider are gathering food, collective hunting,
finding secure shelter from the environment, raising young.  These all
profit from contemplative, problem-solving thinking, rather than just quick
reacting to stimuli.

On second thought, you're actually dead on, but in a (perhaps?) unintended
fashion: it's a question of satisficing, rather than optimizing.  Which, of
course, is in perfect keeping with human nature and evolution.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | If you have to drink and drive, make
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | it a latte...